Many aspects of railway modelling are the same whatever scale you choose, but N Gauge has particular benefits: namely, that there is more space for scenery, longer trains and extensive fiddle yards. This leads to specific challenges in the design and layout to ensure a realistic-looking model.
Assuming some familiarity with the basics of N Gauge, Advanced Modelling in N Gauge provides guidance and instruction to extend and develop modelling skills to produce a layout that is scenically impressive: planning baseboards, integrating scenery with the backscene, and keeping everything in harmony.
Topics covered include:
- Constructing baseboards and scenery
- How to make models of real buildings, to add character to your layout
- Building, painting and finishing rolling stock from kits and adding detail to ready to run models;
- Different systems for moving vehicles and controlling them
- Explanations of the various methods of automation and control
- What is needed to make a successful exhibition layout and how to perform demonstrations
Noel Leaver is a member of Farnham Model Railway Club and helped build and exhibit their three N gauge layouts, as well as running their annual exhibition. He is Decals Officer for the N Gauge Society, and Treasurer of the 2mm Scale Association. He regularly writes articles for magazines and journals.