Lettering enthusiasts of all levels will love learning easy ways to develop and adapt hand lettering skills and techniques to a variety of digital platforms in Digital Hand Lettering and Modern Calligraphy.
Popular Instagram lettering artist and workshop instructor Shelly Kim (@lettersbyshells) offers lettering enthusiasts at all levels step-by-step instruction, along with ample photos and lettering examples. Start with lettering essentials that show how to create different styles of brush lettering with the right tools, how to connect letters to form words, form flourishes, and more.
Then turn that unique calligraphy into lettering that you can use over and over again, just by digitizing it. Discover several options for creating digital lettering, each one clearly outlined and explained. Become familiar with tools and techniques that make the process fast and enjoyable.
See how far you can take your digital lettering with fun projects for creating cards, name tags, adding foiling and more.
In this book you’ll learn how to:
- Produce loose, bouncy lettering that adds style to any project
- Design meaningful quotes by learning a quick trick for great compositions
- Create digital files that give you numerous options for adding color and changing the shapes and sizes of letters
- Make a custom digital lettering brush that you can use for unique calligraphy
- Letter on a tablet and learn the basics of Procreate and Apple Pencil
- Use your lettering for great projects that incorporate digital and hands-on techniques
- Get inspiration from stunning gallery pieces by Karin Newport of @ipadlettering and Myriam of @halfapx
Digital Hand Lettering and Modern Calligraphy will guide you to the future of lettering!
Shelly Kim, creator of the popular Instagram lettering account @lettersbyshells, is a self-taught modern brush calligrapher who hosts in-person workshops throughout the U.S. on digital lettering, brush lettering, and watercolor lettering. She also offers entertaining and inspiring tutorials on YouTube and Facebook (both accounts: Letters By Shells) and is the author of two step-by-step technique card gift sets, Learn to Create Modern Calligraphy Lettering and Learn to Create Art Deco Lettering (both published by Rock Point, 2017). Shelly has also collaborated with a wide range of creative companies, including Apple, at their Today Apple event, where she shared her artwork and story; Adobe Student, for their Spark Stories Sweepstakes; and with such crafts manufacturers as Tombow, Ranger Ink, and Prima Marketing. Shelly and her work have been featured on CBS News, Art Insider, and MOO.com. She lives in southern California.