Discover the pleasures of slow stitching as Lynn Krawczyk shows you how to enjoy the meditative and mindful process of stitching by hand. Stitching and embroidery are great ways to add color, texture, and interest to all kinds of textiles, and you’ll see how easy it is to develop a distinctive style.
After mastering a variety of stitches, apply them to imaginative projects, such as a boro sketchbook cover, a stuffed toy bunny, a wabi sabi neck scarf, and an embroidered square bowl.
Even experienced sewers and embroiderers will learn how to transfer patterns, ideas for organizing and caring for thread, differences in thread types, and great troubleshooting tips.
Hand Sewing Magic is a modern, all-in-one guide for hand stitchers of all levels of skill and experience, and for all applications. In this unique guide book you will:
- Get an in-depth overview of essential tools and materials, including thread, needles, fabric, and other key supplies.
- Explore a comprehensive visual dictionary of 35 stitches, plus dozens of variations, including basic mending, stylish decorative embellishments, and unique art stitching.
- Discover key techniques, such as starting and ending threads, the correct way to use an embroidery hoop, stitching curved shapes, color shading, and more.
- Gain confidence in your stitching and embroidery skills as you try new techniques.
- Learn essential tips and tricks from influential and innovative stitchers, including Joanne Sharpe, Allison Aller, and Catherine Redford.
- Use stitches and techniques in unique ways for 10 simple and stunning projects.
With Hand Sewing Magic, you’ll make the most of your hand stitching and give all your projects a beautiful handmade look.
Lynn Krawczyk is a mixed-media surface design artist who focuses on pattern and color. Her work features painting, drawing, and hand stitching on both fabric and paper. Lynn has written nearly 50 magazine articles for such publications as Quilting Arts Magazine, Cloth Paper Scissors, Uppercase, Fiber Art Now, and Sew Somerset, and is the author of The Hand-Stitched Surface (CPi, 2017) and Intentional Printing: Simple Techniques for Inspired Fabric Art (Interweave, 2014).She also has a collection of floss with thread manufacturer Aurifil, Inked by Lynn Krawczyk, as well as three instructional DVD workshops with Quilting Arts/F&W Media: Print, Design, Compose; Color Theory Made Easy; and Thermofax Screen Printing Essentials. Lynn teaches surface design workshops at various venues throughout the United States. She lives in Plymouth, Michigan.