Locomotive kit building remains the best route to achieving a varied range of motive power in most scales but it also retains a mystique, being associated with expert modellers and expensive tools. In this invaluable, richly illustratedvolume, George Dent demonstrates how anyone can successfully assemble working kits with only a modicum of inexpensive equipment and experience. All aspects of assembly are covered in detail including working in plastics, resin and metal; the very basics of working and joining materials; installing ready-made power units and performing more complex operations, such as assembling etched metal chassis frames and intricate valve gear.
– Includes a full guide to essential tools, materials and adhesives.
– Covers the art of soldering.
– Explains the basics behind chassis construction and alignment.
– Presents an in-depth guide to the assembly of cylinders, coupling rods and valve gear.
– Examines a range of power unit and transmission options.
– Demonstrates how to detail and modify kits for extra realism.
– Illustrates painting, lining and weathering techniques.
– Offers tips on running-in, testing and maintaining mechanisms.