Learn how to create a one-of-a-kind travel journal that documents your adventures using drawing, painting, lettering, ephemera, and more.
Travel journaling is a fun, creative way to record the sights, sounds, smells, and flavors of life on the road. In The Art of the Travel Journal, you’ll find techniques, ideas, and inspiration for creating a lasting record of your travels that you’ll treasure for years to come. No experience is necessary, and you can bring your signature style or develop new ones as you discover exciting new artistic opportunities.
You’ll discover how to make your journal pages come to life with easy techniques for sketching the big picture or small details, adding simple lettering, creating stunning color palettes, and decorating pages with fun mementos that travelers love to collect, such as tickets, packaging, maps, and more. Also find tips on how to work in transit and how to plan and pack for maximum efficiency and enjoyment. Best of all, the techniques also work for documenting life right where you are, and beginners can dive in and create with confidence.
Author Abbey Sy (Instagram: @abbeysy) is a veteran traveler who has created her own travel journals for years, sharing the records of her global escapades on her social media platforms. In addition to filling this book with step-by-step instructions for a variety of techniques, she takes a holistic approach to journaling by including information on the benefits of journaling, how to hone a creative habit, and how to develop a unique style.
Other features of the book:
- All facets of journaling are covered, from start to finish: pre-trip planning, setting intentions, gathering supplies, staying motivated, and how to archive completed journals.
- Not sure which supplies to take? Sometimes less is more—get a rundown on how to build the best compact traveling art kit.
- Explore special sections on making a travel zine and sending artful postcards, enriching the experience of being on the road.
- Learn composition tips for creating stunning journal pages and spreads.
- Get great ideas for storing ephemera and other bits travelers collect.
- Discover journal spread ideas for a variety of themes, such as architecture, museums and galleries, plants and nature, and food and drink.
- Find creative ideas for documenting short trips and staycations.
Tickets? Check. Passport? Check. Travel journal? Check! Let The Art of the Travel Journal make every trip satisfyingly creative.
Abbey Sy is an artist, author, and designer who loves art and traveling extensively as part of her inspiration-hunting process. She loves documenting her trips through her travel journals, frequently posting her colorful and imaginative journal pages on Instagram. Her curiosity for the world keeps her on her feet, whether it’s studying abroad, taking up an art residency, or traveling for vacation. She is constantly restless and looking forward to the next adventure, and her mantra is Always Be Creating.
Her passion for hand lettering and design is inspired by retro advertising, desaturated hues, and vintage labels. She is the author of The Complete Photo Guide to Hand Lettering and Calligraphy (Quarry), Hand Lettering A to Z (Rockport Publishers), and Hand Lettering A to Z Workbook (Rockport Publishers). Abbey is also the founder and creative director of ABC Magazine, a publication for artists, crafters, and makers. Her popular social media platforms include three Instagram accounts and a YouTube channel. She produces her own merchandise and teaches art and hand lettering classes. Abbey lives in Berlin, Germany.
Instagram: @abbeysy, @alwaysbecreating.art, @shopabbeysy
YouTube: Abbey Sy