Kathy Cano Murillo
Join the Queen of Latina Style to make joyous, vibrant, sparkly Latin-inspired crafts that are stunning to look at yet surprisingly easy to make.
The Crafty Chica is back! In The Crafty Chica Creates!, a revised and expanded edition of The Crafty Chica Collection, Kathy Cano Murillo enthusiastically welcomes you into her world of making and affirmational thinking with colorful, Latin-style craft projects inspired by her Mexican heritage.
With 45 projects—26 completely new joining 19 previous favorites—get fun techniques for painting, sewing, mixed media, clay, and paper crafts using affordable and recycled materials. While some are more in-depth than others, the projects are ideal for all skill levels. The Crafty Chica welcomes you to infuse the projects with elements of your own cultural heritage to make them personal and unique.
Each project is presented with a materials list, clear step-by-step instructions, a large photo of the finished project, and the personal and cultural history behind it.
Organized by category—Clothing, Artful Affirmations, Home Accessories, Jewelry and Accessories, Garden Decorations, and Fiesta—the projects include:
- Milagros (miracle charms) layered resin phone grip
- Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) papier-mache dog sculpture
- Stamped clay folk-art boxes and ring dish
- A stunning poncho made from Mexican scarves
- A picture frame upcycled with an embroidered blouse
As you embrace the Latino culture or let your cultural heritage shine with creative crafts, you’ll discover:
- Innovative ways to work with a wide range of materials, including air-dry clay, resin, and fabric
- How to fully embrace vivid color palettes
- Ways of repurposing everyday supplies into gorgeous art pieces that make great gifts
- Great techniques for sculpting, sewing, painting, and embellishing that will boost skills and confidence
Whether you are looking for dazzling things to make for group crafting, to decorate your casa or workplace, to release stress and lift your mood, or for gift giving, The Crafty Chica Creates! is your friendly, inspiring guide.
Kathy Cano Murillo is a Mexican-American author, artist, and founder of the award-winning brand CraftyChica. A former syndicated columnist for The Arizona Republic, she is now a full-time creativepreneur, which has led to multiple Crafty Chica mass retail product lines and collaborations with many national brands. She has authored seven craft books, two novels, and Forever Frida: A Celebration of the Life, Art, Loves, Words, and Style of Frida Kahlo. She has been featured in Forbes, The New York Times, BuzzFeed, and more. Kathy’s life’s mission is to inspire others to bring out their inner sparkle—and to see the sparkle in others. Kathy lives in Phoenix, Arizona.