Win a Book Deal from Walter Foster Publishing – Congratulations to Sarah Gardner!
Sarah Gardner wins a book deal with Walter Foster Publishing!
Walter Foster Publishing today announced the winner in their “Win a Book Deal” Contest: Sarah Gardner of Cardiff by the Sea, CA. From Group Publisher, Anne Landa: “In celebration of our centennial, previously un-published artists of all disciplines were offered the opportunity to win a book deal. A panel of judges blind voted, and I’m delighted with their choice.”
Gardner’s submission for creating sharable, giftable mixed-media artwork proved to be a favorite amongst the judging panel. Gardner, a lawyer and self-taught artist, first began sharing her art online in 2009 at her blog, www.juicy-s.net. Her wish is for readers and beginning artists to explore creativity, get out of their heads, ignore that inner critic, and play around with art supplies. “I am beyond excited to become a published author,” says Gardner. “I have a whole library of books about art: mixed media, art journaling, sketching, watercolor, drawing, etc. To think of my own book sitting on my bookshelf among all of these is a dream come true!”
The submissions were reviewed by a committee made up of personnel from The Quarto Group representing the editorial, art, marketing, and sales departments, as well as a professional artist. As Anne Landa explains, “Submissions were to be instructional in nature with practical tips, techniques, and step-by-step projects or lessons that demonstrate how to work in a specific medium with the goal to teach beginning first-time artists and/or hobbyists how to work with a specific medium or in a specific subject matter. We wanted entrants to approach their proposal as a beginning art class in a book.” Walter Foster’s “Win a Book Deal” Contest coincides with their 100th anniversary as the world’s leading publisher of instructional art and craft books.
Congratulations to the shortlist candidates in Walter Foster’s Win a Book Deal Contest:
Libby Aguigui Nau
Walter Foster’s Win a Book Deal contest is now closed.
As the world’s leading publisher of instructional art and craft books for adults and children, Walter Foster has been teaching beginning and aspiring artists how to draw, paint, craft, and create for nearly 100 years.
Now through March 22, 2022, we are inviting artists of all disciplines to enter Walter Foster’s “Win a Book Deal” contest for an opportunity to author and publish an instructional art book with us!
Aspiring authors are invited to submit entries in the following categories:
- Drawing (any fine art medium)
- Painting (any fine art medium)
- Craft (e.g., crochet, embroidery, polymer clay, jewelry making, etc.)
- Other Art (mixed media, cartooning, paint pouring, block printing, manga/anime, etc.)
HOW TO ENTER:
Identify the category for your submission and submit an overview of the idea in PDF format. Your entry should include your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, and a bio introducing yourself, explaining why you became an artist, and why you are qualified to write a book. You must also include:
- Proposed book title and subtitle
- 1-2 paragraphs detailing the book concept
- One complete step-by-step tutorial of a project, including artwork and text
- Any additional artwork and/or photographs that communicate the tone and theme of the book
- Each entry in each category must be accompanied by a signed submission release form, which can be downloaded at https://www.quartoknows.com/uploads/files/pages/submission-agreement.pdf
Send completed submissions and the signed release form to: bookcontest @ quarto.com (You may send your materials via email or a file transfer service of your choice, but please do not send links for us to download your materials).
ABOUT YOUR SUBMISSION:
Submissions should be instructional in nature with practical tips, techniques, and step-by-step projects and/or lessons that demonstrate how to work in a specific medium. The goal is to teach beginning/first-time artists and/or hobbyists how to work with a specific medium or in a specific subject matter. Think of it as a beginning art class in a book.
- You must be at least 18 years old and a resident of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia;
- You must be a never-before published book author (it’s ok if you’ve posted your art or tutorials on your website or social media accounts);
- You may submit one entry in each of the four book categories above, but you may only submit one entry per category;
- Submissions must be from individual authors only—no agented submissions will be accepted;
- Employees and contractors of Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. or any affiliated or related entity are not eligible.
SELECTION OF WINNER:
Submissions will be reviewed by a Selection Committee made up of personnel from The Quarto Group and a professional artist. Selection criteria will consist of adherence to the theme, creativity, instructional and aesthetic value, and more (see Official Rules for details). A short-list of candidates will be announced on April 22, 2022, and the winner will be announced on May 22, 2022.
By entering this contest, you acknowledge that you’ve read and agree to the Official Rules below.
We look forward to hearing from you!